Samba4 Active Directory in action in a Commercial Bank in India
An alternative to Microsoft Active Directory in Open Source
Sometime back the an institution promoted by Central Bank in India had conducted workshop on "Road for adoption of Open Source Software in Banks", where we had presented a case study on the extent of Open Source Adaption in one of the Premier Scheduled Commercial Bank Headquartered in South India. The bank has a staff strength of about 7500, operating about 800 branches across the country. I thought I should present this specific case study here through this article. Probably this will set the standards for adoption of Open Source technology for different critical and non-critical functions.
- Study the environment, come up with deployment architecture & plan
- Providing the platform
- Setting up the Active Directory, DNS and few basic policies.
- Administration & User Self Service Portals
- Log collection and storage for audit, traceability and lay the foundation for PIM and PAM.
- Support & Services under Service Level Agreements over a period of time & user training.
Considering the workload, number of applications / devices to integrate, network priorities, location of AD admin group, it was decided that we create 4 Domain Controllers with PDC emulator is the DR Center at Head Office (HO). This decision was taken considering the fact AD roll out decision was taken at HO and primary AD administration group was also commissioned within HO-IT team.The PDC emulator was configured on a physical server while one of the additional domain controller at DR-HO was created on a Virtual Machine hosted on KVM / oVirt.Similarly, in order to balance the workload, two additional domain controllers were added at bank's Data Center (DC) of which one is a physical server and the other one is a Virtual Machine hosted on KVM /oVirt.
Partial List of Devices / Applications integrated with AD
- Internet Proxy with single sign on - Forcepoint Websense
- NextCloud - File sharing platform for the Bank
- OSTicket - Internal HelpDesk Application
- Bank's Internal Audit Applications
- Banks Online Grievance Portal - Bank's Customer Help Desk
- many more......